Finished Basement Wall System
Standard wood-frame wall construction is a poor choice when finishing a basement. Wood framing lumber typically supports mold and mildew growth, and may eventually rot due to moisture damage. The paper surface of drywall panels also supports mold growth.
Fiberglass batt insulation will lose insulation value when wet, and may compress or settle over time, further diminishing its R-value. Well-aware of these problems, TBF worked with building scientists and manufacturers to develop a wall system ideally suited to basement conditions.
The system is based on wall panels made from 2 ½-in.-thick rigid foam insulation with ½-in.-thick cement board cladding. The cement board is finished with an off-white vinyl surface treatment.
Here are some noteworthy advantages of this wall system:
- Quick, efficient installation, since wall panels include insulation, wallboard and finished wall surface. Battens with a matching surface finish snap in place between panels, eliminating the need for taping and finishing joints. This design also simplifies panel removal.
- No painting is required; walls are finished as soon as they're installed.
- Electrical outlets are easy to incorporate.
- The vinyl surface is attractive, stain-resistant and easy to clean.
- Panels can't be damaged by moisture and won't support mold and mildew growth.
- Unlike fiberglass batt insulation, rigid foam insulation will not absorb moisture, settle, or compress over time.
- A TBF wall is much stronger than drywall construction; a single panel can support up to 300lbs.
- Framing is eliminated; no wood or metal studs are required.
- A TBF wall has an R-13 rating and is more energy efficient than a wall built with studs and insulated with fiberglass batts.
- TBF panels are available with finished faces on both sides, for use as partition walls.
- Plastic baseboard and crown molding used to trim out walls is 100% waterproof and won't support mold.
There's more on our patented wall panels, or you can return to our Basement finishing Overview section to learn about other innovative products. For a free basement remodeling estimate, call or contact us today!
Looking for a price? Get a no cost, no obligation free estimate.